Fourth session of the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction
The Fourth Session of the Global Platform “Invest Today for a Safer Tomorrow” comes at a time when there is unprecedented international momentum to reduce Disaster risk and build Resilience in our communities. Across the globe there is action to reduce the social, economic and environmental impacts of catastrophes brought on by natural hazards.
At the same time, tragic events over the last few years remind us that disasters do not differentiate between regions or income-levels. Climate change is expected to increase the frequency and severity of weather-related hazards. Rapid urbanisation and environmental degradation are exposing more people and more assets to threats; the risk of economic loss from a disaster is increasing at a faster rate than economic growth.
As we head towards 2015 when the Hyogo Framework of Action 2005-2015: Building the Resilience of Nations and Communities to Disasters completes it first 10-year term, any future based on sustainable development for all will call on us to reduce disaster risks. Failure to do so will mean that natural hazards will continue to become disasters and impede progress towards sustainable development.
What better place to engage and contribute to these issues than at the Global Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction; the forum that brings together Governments, international organizations, intergovernmental organizations, NGOs, local communities, scientific and academic institutions and private business.
At the Fourth Session of the Global Platform new partnerships and alliances will be created. Progress in risk reduction and resilience building will be exchanged and debated. Experiences, innovations and practices will be shared. This session also holds special significance as an opportunity to further consult on a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction.
The Second Announcement outlines the expected outcomes, general structure and events, some key dates as well as logistic information for the Fourth Session of the Global Platform 2013.
- Showcase and debate progress and practice in disaster risk reduction.
- Engage and contribute to shaping the future of disaster risk reduction for the 21st Century.
- Consult over a post-2015 framework for disaster risk reduction.
- Create new partnerships and alliances to reduce risks of disasters and build resilience in communities.
- Exchange learning and innovations including new tools and methodologies.
- Prioritize and streamline directions for the partners in disaster risk reduction, which will be reflected in the outcome document - the Chair’s Summary.