6th EARSeL Workshop on Remote Sensing of the Coastal Zone
The 6th EARSeL Workshop on remote sensing of the Coastal Zone will take place in Matera (Italy) at the University of Basilicata. The Workshop will provide an interdisciplinary forum for presentations and discussions of our current state of knowledge on remote sensing of the coastal zone environment in terms of algorithms accuracy, time series analysis of environmental indices based on remote sensing data, and new technologies.
These topics will emphasise the impact of the climate variability on the European Sea with particular emphasis on coastal zones and inland waters highlighting the importance of measuring essential climate variables which can exhaustively describe the status of the coastal environment.
The workshop focuses on the impact of our climate on coastal zones and inland waters, on climate change and its expected effects on European seas, and on the role of remote sensing for its study:
- changing terrestrial run-off into coastal waters
- escalation of extreme coastal events: floods, storms, high tides
- hydrology and water budget evolution of rivers and lakes
- increasing temperatures in inland and coastal waters
- impact of vaying physical forcing on morphodynamics and ecosystems
- new developments of habitats, biodiversity and alien invaders
- fluxes and fate of seawater constituents, including pollutants
- role of Coastal Zone Management in adapting to climate change.