The European Centre for Medium-Range Weather Forecast (ECMWF) is an indipendent intergovernmental organization supported by 34 states.
The principal objectives of the Centre are:
- development and operation of global models and data-assimilation systems for the dynamics, thermodynamics and composition of the Earth's fluid envelope and interacting parts of the Earth-system, with a view to:
- preparing forecasts by means of numerical methods;
- providing initial conditions for the forecasts; and
- contributing to monitoring the relevant parts of the Earth-system;
- carrying out scientific and technical research directed towards improving the quality of these forecasts;
- collection and storage of appropriate data.
In addition, the Centre:
- makes the results available to the Member States in the most appropriate form.
- assists in implementing programmes of the World Meteorological Organization;
- provides advanced training to the scientific staff of the Member and Co-operating States in the field of numerical weather prediction;
- makes the data in its extensive archives available to outside bodies.
Read more about ECMWF.