The United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), in collaboration with the Space Generation Advisory Council (SGAC), launched the fifth edition of the Space4Youth Essay Competition! The Competition targets students and young professionals with the aim to highlight governance practices and experiences on the sustainable use of outer space to address the needs of the present in a manner that protects the interests of future generations.
Topic of the Competition
Through the creativity and energy of the youth and sustainable practices, we can navigate the challenges and embrace the vast opportunities that the cosmos offers. In this context, the Space4Youth Essay Competition will have the following theme: Governance of outer space activities: securing space sustainability for future generations.
The essay competition has a precise ask for applicants: "Governance of outer space activities: what idea do you have that would unite world leaders to agree on a common approach to make space sustainable for future generations? ".
Please read more about the topic and the requirements to participate in the call for essays here.
- To apply, please register and submit the abstract through the Space for Youth Competition Form by 11 February 2024, 23:59 CET.
- Please note that you will have to insert your abstract directly in the online form. We suggest you prepare the abstract ahead of completing the application form.
- Results of the abstracts selection will be communicated to successful candidates by 23 February 2024, 23:59 CET.
- Successful candidates shall submit their essay. The deadline is 15 March 2024, 23:59 CET.
Award for authors of best essays
- The U.S. Mission to International Organizations in Vienna will support this year's Space4Youth competition by providing the authors of the best 3 essays with a trip to the United States to meet with representatives of the U.S. space sector and attend an Adult Space Camp at the U.S. Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, Alabama (1).
- The 3 best essays will be uploaded on the UNOOSA "Space for Youth" webpage.
- The authors of the best 3 essays may be invited to attend other international events.
- Priority will be given to participants from developing countries.
(1) Confirmation and satisfaction of U.S. visa approval will be required.