Terms and Conditions of Use of the UN-SPIDER website (Knowledge Portal)
The UN-SPIDER website (Knowledge Portal) is maintained by the United Nations Platform for Space-based Information for Disaster Management and Emergency Response (“UN-SPIDER”). UN-SPIDER is a platform under the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), which is an integral part of the United Nations, and thus all relevant rules, regulations and directives apply.
UN-SPIDER and the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs claim no responsibility for the contents of the material presented/contributed to the Portal by the third-parties, either juridical or physical persons. Those third-parties are solely responsible for the quality and contents of the products and information they are providing.
The use of this web site constitutes agreement with the following terms and conditions:
- UN-SPIDER maintains this web site (the "Site") as a courtesy to those who may choose to access the Site ("Users"). The information presented herein is for informative purposes only. UN-SPIDER grants permission to Users to visit the Site and to download and copy the information, documents and materials (collectively, "Materials") from the Site for the User's personal, non-commercial use, without any right to resell or redistribute them or to compile or create derivative works therefrom, subject to the terms and conditions outlined below, and also subject to more specific restrictions that may apply to specific Material within this Site.
- UN-SPIDER administers this Site. All Material on this Site of UN-SPIDER is subject to the present Terms and Conditions.
- Unless expressly stated otherwise, the findings, interpretations and conclusions expressed in the Materials on this Site are those of the various UN-SPIDER and United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs staff members, consultants and advisers to UN-SPIDER and the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs who prepared the work and do not necessarily represent the views of UN-SPIDER, the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs or its Member States.
Materials provided on this Site are provided "as is", without warranty of any kind, either express or implied, including, without limitation, warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. UN-SPIDER specifically does not make any warranties or representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any such Materials. UN-SPIDER periodically adds, changes, improves or updates the Materials on this Site without notice. Under no circumstances shall UN-SPIDER or the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs be liable for any loss, damage, liability or expense incurred or suffered that is claimed to have resulted from the use of this Site, including, without limitation, any fault, error, omission, interruption or delay with respect thereto. The use of this Site is at the User's sole risk. Under no circumstances, including but not limited to negligence, shall UN-SPIDER or its affiliates be liable for any direct, indirect, incidental, special or consequential damages, even if UN-SPIDER has been advised of the possibility of such damages.
The User specifically acknowledges and agrees that the UN-SPIDER is not liable for any conduct of any User.
This site may contain advice, opinions and statements of various information providers. UN-SPIDER does not represent or endorse the accuracy or reliability of any advice, opinion, statement or other information provided by any information provider, any User of this Site or any other person or entity. Reliance upon any such advice, opinion, statement, or other information shall also be at the User's own risk. Neither UN-SPIDER nor its affiliates, nor any of their respective agents, employees, information providers or content providers, shall be liable to any User or anyone else for any inaccuracy, error, omission, interruption, deletion, defect, alteration of or use of any content herein, or for its timeliness or completeness, nor shall they be liable for any failure of performance, computer virus or communication line failure, regardless of cause, or for any damages resulting therefrom.
As a condition of use of this Site, the User agrees to indemnify the UN-SPIDER and its affiliates from and against any and all actions, claims, losses, damages, liabilities and expenses (including reasonable attorneys' fees) arising out of the User's use of this Site, including, without limitation, any claims alleging facts that if true would constitute a breach by the User of these Terms and Conditions. If the User is dissatisfied with any Material on this Site or with any of its Terms and Conditions of Use, the User's sole and exclusive remedy is to discontinue using the Site.
This Site may contain links and references to third-party web sites. The linked sites are not under the control of UN-SPIDER, and UN-SPIDER is not responsible for the content of any linked site or any link contained in a linked site. UN-SPIDER provides these links only as a convenience, and the inclusion of a link or reference does not imply the endorsement of the linked site by UN-SPIDER.
If this Site contains bulletin boards, chat rooms, access to mailing lists or other message or communication facilities (collectively, "Forums"), the User agrees to use the Forums only to send and receive messages and materials that are proper and related to the particular Forum. By way of example and not as a limitation, the User agrees that when using a Forum, he or she shall not do any of the following:
- Defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others;
- Publish, post, distribute or disseminate any defamatory, infringing, obscene, indecent or unlawful material or information;
- Upload or attach files that contain software or other material protected by intellectual property laws (or by rights of privacy and publicity) unless the User owns or controls the rights thereto or has received all consents therefor as may be required by law;
- Upload or attach files that contain viruses, corrupted files or any other similar software or programs that may damage the operation of another's computer;
- Delete any author attributions, legal notices or proprietary designations or labels in any file that is uploaded;
- Falsify the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is uploaded;
- Advertise or offer to sell any goods or services, or conduct or forward surveys, contests or chain letters, or download any file posted by another user of a Forum that the User knows, or reasonably should know, cannot be legally distributed in such manner.
The User acknowledges that all Forums and discussion groups are public and not private communications. Further, the User acknowledges that chats, postings, conferences, e-mails and other communications by other Users are not endorsed by the UN-SPIDER and that such communications shall not be considered to have been reviewed, screened or approved by the UN-SPIDER. UN-SPIDER reserves the right to remove, for any reason and without notice, any content of the Forums received from Users, including, without limitation, e-mail and bulletin board postings.
Preservation of immunities
Nothing herein shall constitute or be considered to be a limitation upon or a waiver of the privileges and immunities of UN-SPIDER, which are specifically reserved.
UN-SPIDER reserves its exclusive right in its sole discretion to alter, limit or discontinue the Site or any Materials in any respect. UN-SPIDER shall have no obligation to take the needs of any User into consideration in connection therewith.
UN-SPIDER reserves the right to deny in its sole discretion any user access to this Site or any portion thereof without notice.
No waiver by the UN-SPIDER of any provision of these Terms and Conditions shall be binding except as set forth in writing and signed by its duly authorized representative.
Copyright (c) UN-SPIDER Knowledge Portal. All rights reserved. The Portal is administered by the United Nations Platform for Space-based Information for Disaster Management and Emergency Response (“UN-SPIDER”). UN-SPIDER is a platform under the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA), which is an integral part of the United Nations, and thus corresponding rules, regulations and directives apply.
None of the materials that belong to the United Nations and are provided on this web site may be used, reproduced or transmitted, in whole or in part, in any form or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or the use of any information storage and retrieval system, except as provided for in the Terms and Conditions of Use of United Nations Web Sites, without permission in writing from the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs.
If the material belongs to a third-party, and the United Nations reproduces that material on this web site, then permission of the corresponding third-party should be obtained.
UN-SPIDER Privacy Notice
By accessing this site, certain information about the User, such as Internet protocol (IP) addresses, navigation through the Site, the software used and the time spent, along with other similar information, will be stored on UN-SPIDER servers. These will not specifically identify the User.
The information will be used internally only for web site traffic analysis. If the User provides unique identifying information, such as name, address and other information on forms stored on this Site, such information will be used only for statistical purposes and will not be published for general access. UN-SPIDER and the United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs, being an integral part of the United Nations, assume no responsibility for the security of this information.
Fraud Alert Notice
Not an official document. For information only.
Beware of scams implying association with the United Nations
The United Nations has been made aware of various correspondences, being circulated via e-mail, from Internet web sites, text messages and via regular mail or facsimile, falsely stating that they are issued by, or in association with the United Nations and/or its officials. These scams, which may seek to obtain money and/or in many cases personal details from the recipients of such correspondence, are fraudulent.
- The United Nations wishes to warn the public at large about these fraudulent activities being perpetrated purportedly in the name of the Organization, and/or its officials, through different fraud schemes.
- The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, processing, training) or other fee, or request information on applicants’ bank accounts. To apply for a job go to careers.un.org and click on Vacancies. See more on employment-related fraud.
- The United Nations does not charge a fee at any stage of its procurement process (supplier registration, bids submission) or other fee. Visit the Procurement Division to see the latest business opportunities with the United Nations.
- The United Nations does not request any information related to bank accounts or other private information.
- The United Nations does not offer prizes, awards, funds, certificates, automated teller machine (ATM) cards, compensation for Internet fraud, or scholarships, or conduct lotteries.
- The United Nations does not approve military vacations or pensions, or release packages in exchange for a fee.
The United Nations strongly recommends that the recipients of solicitations, such as those described above exercise extreme caution in respect of such solicitations. Financial loss and identity theft could result from the transfer of money or personal information to those issuing such fraudulent correspondence. Victims of such scams may also report them to their local law enforcement authorities for appropriate action.