The Disaster Management and Mitigation Unit (DMMU) is vested in the Office of the Vice President and was created in 1994. The following are the objectives of DMMU:
- To put in place appropriate preparedness measures in order to manage disasters effectively and efficiently.
- To activate response mechanism for effective and timely search and rescue operations in order to save life and reduce damage to property.
- To put in place measures to restore livelihoods and other life support systems to affected communities.
- To mitigate the disruptive and destructive effects of hazards and all disasters in order to reduce their impact on vulnerable communities, assets and the environment
- To put in place preventive measures in order to reduce the negative effect of hazards and strengthen the national capacity for disaster management in order to avoid the adverse impact of hazards.
- To effectively co-ordinate disaster management activities through a body of procedures and practices in order to avoid duplication of efforts and resources at all levels.