Webinar: Monitoring volcano emissions using Sentinel-5P data

Volcanic eruption. Image: Copernicus RUS.

Copernicus Reseach and User Support (RUS)

Thu, Feb 25 2021

Volcanic eruptions, as one of Earth’s most dramatic and violent agents of change, can drastically alter land and water for kilometres around a volcano. 99 % of the gas molecules emitted in a volcanic eruption are water vapor (H2O), carbon dioxide (CO2), and sulfur dioxide (SO2). The remaining 1 % comprises small amounts of hydrogen sulfide, carbon monoxide, hydrogen chloride, hydrogen fluoride, and other minor gas species (USGS).

This webinar will focus on the exploitation of Sentinel-5P data to map the SO2 concentrations originated on the occasion of a volcanic eruption in the Volcan de Fuego, Guatemala.

To implement this analysis, participants will be using Python code run in a Jupyter Notebook. The study will be conducted on the RUS Copernicus environment. Basic Python programming skills are recommended, although the exercise does not require any Python programming skills and can be followed by any participant.

Date: Thursday 25 February 2021 – 14:30 CET

Duration: Around 90 minutes, including Q&A session

Participants can register for the webinar here.