UNOOSA / UN-SPIDER
German Aerospace Center (DLR)
Global Flood Awareness System (GloFAS) / Copernicus EMS / European Commission
Center for Remote Sensing of Land Surfaces (ZFL) / University of Bonn
The UN-SPIDER/ GloFAS / DLR / ZFL International Workshop: “Space technologies for flood management” aimed at contributing to an increased use of satellite technologies and novel processing techniques to respond to challenges posed by disasters. The International Training Workshop aimed:
- To raise awareness regarding novel techniques and tools developed by DLR, the Copernicus programme, and UN-SPIDER useful in flood management.
- Contribute to increase the skills of young professionals engaged in the use of Earth observation and novel geospatial information technologies to contribute to flood management efforts.
- Facilitate networking efforts among young professionals engaged in disaster management efforts.
The International Training Workshop included plenary presentations, a training on the use of novel techniques to process satellite imagery in case of floods, and a simulation of floods to familiarize participants with novel procedures and tools developed by the German Aerospace Centre, the Copernicus programme and UN-SPIDER.
Discussion sessions were organised to share lessons learned regarding the use of novel procedures.
All participants were requested to complete the assignments and work on a small pilot project after the completion of the training workshop.
The workshop included nearly 30 participants from national disaster management agencies, space agencies, other government agencies and university students. Participants came from Algeria, Barbados, Germany, Ghana, Italy, Kenya, Mexico, Mozambique, Nigeria, Pakistan, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Türkiye, Uganda, and the United Kingdom. The workshop was inaugurated with opening remarks by representatives from UN-SPIDER, ZFL, GLOFAS, and DLR.
Day 1 - Monday, 20 February 2023
- GloFAS: An introduction to the Global Flood Awareness System
- GloFAS: GloFAS products: medium range forecast
- GloFAS: Open Source LISFLOOD hydrological model
Day 2 - Tuesday, 21 February 2023
|DLR GloFAS ZFL UN-SPIDER Workshop 2023 Agenda (214.08 KB)||214.08 KB|
|DLR GloFAS ZFL UN-SPIDER Workshop 2023 Report (191.29 KB)||191.29 KB|
|Presentation Day 1 - GloFAS Part 1: Introduction (7.58 MB)||7.58 MB|
|Presentation Day 1 - GloFAS Part 2: Medium Range Forecast (6.05 MB)||6.05 MB|
|Presentation Day 1 - GloFAS Part 3: LISFLOOD Model (2.56 MB)||2.56 MB|
|Presentation Day 2 - UN-SPIDER Part 1: Flood Mapping using Sentinel 1 and Google Earth Engine (3.28 MB)||3.28 MB|
|Presentation Day 2 - UN-SPIDER Part 2: Flood Mapping using Sentinel 1 and Python (890.65 KB)||890.65 KB|
|Presentation Day 2 - DLR: How to detect water in radar images (4.42 MB)||4.42 MB|